It was a great event when Bethesda was able to dedicate its new and renovated facilities on October 31, 1993 after three years of construction. The supervisory roll was handled by a committee of three: Gerhard Schickedanz was the chairman and negotiated all of the construction contracts, Lionel Dawson was the onsite construction supervisor as well as using his woodworking skills to complete the inside finishing and Lorne Smith, as treasurer, handled all of the financial matters. The wheelchair lift was installed and dedicated the next year in 1994. It only took the congregation five years to completely pay off the cost of construction.
During the 200th Anniversary celebrations in 1994 the congregation enjoyed a visit from both Eastern Synod Bishop William Huras and National Bishop Telmor Sartison. In 2000 the historic wall hanging was designed and made available to the congregation.
Unfortunately the organ had to be rebuilt in 1999 after 50 years of service and in 2008 a new piano for the sanctuary was donated in memory of Nelson and Minnie Smith, lifelong members of Bethesda.
A number of projects to enhance our facilities were completed in the following years:
- 2009 Installed a new metal roof
- 2011 Paved the parking lot
- 2012 Installed new carpet in the sanctuary
- 2013 Installed the new steeple and bell
- 2019 Installed a projection system in the sanctuary
Finally, on Sunday, November 3, 2019 Bethesda officially celebrated its 225th Anniversary with Eastern Synod Bishop Michael Pryse preaching the sermon. The occasion also included a presentation by Mayor Frank Scarpitti and M.P.P. Billy Pang.
Copies of “Some Bits of History of Bethesda Lutheran Church 1794-2019” are available in the Church Office.