Along with Worship, Witness, Service and Support; LEARNING is one of the five central ministries that define the nature and purpose of a congregation. The grace of God is so extravagant that we can never in our wildest dreams imagine that we will ever learn and know more than just a small fraction of it. But that should never keep us from trying to read the Bible, study and learn more each and every day.
At Bethesda, Christian education and learning happen through various forms for all ages.
- Our Sunday Church School (SCS) offers group settings for 4-13 year-olds to hear and read Bible stories, explore Jesus’ love for them, and be creative in expressing their Christian faith.
- Affirmation Ministry (also known as confirmation) is an intentional time of study and preparation for a more mature commitment to following Jesus and participation in the life and ministry of the congregation. There are currently no confirmation classes scheduled. However if you are interested in having your children who are in grades 6-9 confirmed or you yourself are interested in being confirmed, please contact us for more information.
- For many years now a weekly Bible Study group has met to journey together in learning.
Of course, formal group gatherings are not the only way to grow and learn.
- A lending library is available to provide materials for personal growth in a less structured setting.
Sunday Church School (SCS)
Sunday School is a vital part of the Christian Education Ministry of Bethesda. Weekly from September to May this ministry provides the opportunity for children to learn, pray, worship and have fun together.
Currently Sunday mornings with our children look like this:
10:30 Small groups with SCS Teachers
– Lessons and related crafts & activities
– wrap up and preparation to join the congregation for worship
11:15 (approx.) Children are called out of their classes to join the congregation for Holy Communion and the remainder of Worship.
On the First Sunday of each month there is no Sunday School, instead children are encouraged to join the rest of the congregation in worship for Children and Family Sunday.
To promote and encourage a habit of life-long Christian Education, we offer a variety of programs and resources. A weekly Bible Study group, and a library are some of the ways we try to ensure that we continue to learn about God’s grace and will for us.
Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God. (Matthew 22:29)
Each Tuesday afternoon, from 1:00-2:30, members and friends gather at the church for Bible Study. Everyone is welcome and invited to join us for this weekly time of study, food and friendship. No past bible study experience is necessary.
We know that busy work and family schedules do not always allow for as much involvement in organized bible study and learning events as we would like. To this end, Bethesda has established a small library of books and other resources to encourage a life-long commitment to Christian Education. Magazines are free for you to take. Books and other resources can be signed out for no more than a month at a time. Buy using the sign-out cards and returning your borrowed materials promptly you ensure that others will have access to these excellent resources.